Next is the body which was a lot easier than the legs, apart from 1 oversight.

The shoulders are the first step and very easy. Unscrew the servo screwss and servo horn, put the front and back plates on then rescrew.

The hip/pelvis assemble is more of the same.

This is where I messed up, I built it as per the instrutions with the wires coming out of the body. However by the time you get the control board on and arms/legs/head attached it's not easy to tell which is the shoulder and which is the hip servo wire.

Luckily I own a servo tester which could tell me which servo is which.

At this stage I would have used the stickers in the box to label the 5,7,9 and 10 servo wires. This makes life a bit easier.

Body with the shoulder assemblies attached.

 

 

 

Legs attached.

 

 

Arms attached. Starting to look good now.

There is a problem with the manual after this step, it says use 10 PH/T 2.6*4mm

 

It should be PH/M Firstly as it's machine screws (M) rather than tapping (T) and secondly there are no PH/T 2.6*4 in the box.

Controller board attached but not connected up.

 

See comments above about the servo wires coming from inside the body.

I had a nice note in my box, it appears as if there are several controller versions, 2.3, 2.3b and 2.5. The 2.3 and 2.5 use the same cabling version, if you have good eyesight it has the servo positions on the controller board bottom left and right.

 

It's alive!!

 

Well not quite.

This is it before being powered up, it's just sitting there being charged (can see the cable).

Last issue with it, sensor placement. When the IR sensor is attached it's wire is directly placed in the way of the serial cable. When it does a tumble the sensor gets bashed. If the robot is being used on a table/desk need to be higher to get a good reception.

I moved the sensor onto the front of the robot in the chest cavity, this gives better reception and doesn't get in the way. The only problem is that I can't communicate with the robot if it turns round.

The plan is to use wireless serial of some description (bluetooth/RF) to get round using the IR sensor.

For the sensor "The dark gray wire of the connector must be at the bottom" of the controller. The picture in the manual shows a light grey wire, mine was DARK grey and a bit off black so needed to double check the placement.

 

I haven't shown the cabling of the robot, it was getting pretty late by the time I got to this stage. It was pretty boring and involved unscrewing a load of screws then putting wire clips on and rescrewing them.

A note here is to connect the battery and verify it stands about right when first powered on, check the cables are out of the way and use the remote control (2*AAA batteries required) to do a few tests.

Once you are happy that it is all working then put all the cable clips on and cable tie the robot. The last thing you want to do is to clip everything down to realise a foot servo is back to front.